Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Do or Do Not


Sometimes there are days when you just don't feel like writing. It has nothing to do with writer's block, headaches, business....or anything at all. You just don't feel like it.

I've been having one of those weeks. Or was it two?

Nothing seemed to be extraorindarily inspiring. I did some writing on my book here and there, but I just wasn't there.

I'm at that stage where all I am doing is editing. And editing. And editing some more. And if I don't feel like it, I don't do it.

Ha.

I tried made myself work.





And then discovered when I write by compulsion...its pretty much appalling.

There is a fine line to writing. You can't just go do it. You have to be able to feel what you are doing, get the flow, the mood. It's not something to be done by force.

Yes, I know. There are days when you just need to stick your rear in the chair and write because you are merely procrastinating.

Yet, there are days to take a break. Writing is exhausting. It takes talent, time, and energy. It can't be whipped up by throwing inspiration, words, and a few sketchy plotlines into a blender. {Wouldn't that be nice though!!!}

So I have learned that it's better to wait, sit back and take that break. The desire will come back.

Because if you don't enjoy what you're doing....no one else will either. And what a pointless piece of work it would be!


That all came because of my lack of activity here on Stories in the Mind. I was just....empty of words. At least relative ones. I think that is gone now and I am finally back. I will get back into the swing of things and have the guest post and linkup again next week. I hope you all enjoyed my absence.




2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your absence? Pft. Not. But it IS good to have a break, I agree. Though, honestly, if I waited to be in the mood, I would NOT EVER WRITE. Ever. I get more in the swing the more I write, so I have to keep writing even when there are no words. ;)

    I hope you've had a good break though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed this today. Come on Charley, WRITE. You CAN do it today, and you know you want to. NOW DO IT.

    . . . Hmm. Bullying the muse doesn't work. May now have to resort to bribery with jelly beans.

    ReplyDelete