Monday, October 22, 2012

Writing and Music


One of the things I have found in my years as a writer is music is essential. It arranges the mood, gives feeling and emotion, and drives farther into heart of what I am trying to say than words often can. There is a simple joy and sorrow bound up in the orchestral lines of music that spells out just what needs to be felt.

Music. It is not a way to view life, but a way to feel it.

 
Pinned Image



Most often, the music I am listening to sets the stage for what I am wanting to say. If I want to write a sad selection into my book, I bring up mournful, wailing melodies that can bring tears to your eyes without reference to anything. If I feel particularly funny and spunky and just want to get a good laugh out of my readers, I bring up the funky tunes and giggle away at their bright, bubbly sounds.

There are certain songs in my playlist that will be forever linked to scenes and lines in my books because of how they panned out. They just had the right character and theme just when I wanted it. And now, I can't hear them without thinking back to those parts of my book.

But no matter what I am writing, I listen to music. It matters. It adds something to the character to my writing I cannot even describe. But it is important.



Do you listen to music while you write? What kinds? Do you have favorite songs that just seem to spill out all you want to say?


Pinned Image


P.S. This Wednesday's Once Upon a Time... linkup will be on: trust. Come back Wednesday and add your link!


Do you like the new Once Upon a Time... linkup button? 


3 comments:

  1. Yep. Music + writing = novel. Hopefully, wonderful novel, but sometimes you have to wait to find that out! :D I wrote my entire 2nd book to the movie soundtrack *Inception*. Great soundtrack, but now it is forever labelled *my second book music*.

    Oo!! Trust. Great prompt. Off to dig through the writings and find something...trusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never really listened to a whole lot of music while I'm writing...probably because a lot of what I listen to has words, which just distracts me and I start singing along haha. I would love to hear what kind of music you listen to while you write! I think this would help me a lot sometimes.

    Hmmm, trust...not sure that I have anything already written. I'll check, but I will write something if I don't! This might be hard with some things that have been weighing heavy on my mind lately...haha:P

    ReplyDelete